September is in full swing. Soon enough, Christmas will come. Yes, I am one of those crazies. But before we get to the sacred birthing of Jesus (“birthing” is a word, gross), let’s get excited about fall, shall we? Now, living in Malibu makes Autumn difficult. I fully understand this sounds a bit like complaining, which I have no right to do when I live here:
The weather is perfect in Malibu. It’s in the sweltering seventies in the summer, and the brisk sixties in the winter. Rough, I know. Trust me, come November when you’re trying to savor hot chocolate and fashionable scarves, it really is rough. I have to go into some sort of mind warp where I fool myself into thinking it’s a brisk 40 degrees outside, so I can where my flannel shirt; I’m not sweating because I’m overdressed, I’m sweating because the crackling fire is too welcoming (note: no fireplace near). However, even with the weather dilemma, there are some amazing things that I love about Fall even in Malibu. Here are 7 of them:
1. Pumpkin (for food). Pumpkin lattes. Pumpkin smoothies. Pumpkin mousse. Pumpkin seeds. Pumpkin bread. My mom’s pumpkin pie. Why don’t they make pumpkin to-go, like pumpkin go-gurts? (OhmygoshI’mgonnaberich)
2. The Colors. Ooh la la, the colors. Malibu may not get the leaves like Indiana, but stores, decorations, and clothes get a gorgeous overhaul that makes me wonder why they don’t keep the palette all year.
3. Thanksgiving. Eat, I must. Half the fun (or more) in Thanksgiving is the prep beforehand. Turkey Day is a major bonding experience in our household. While one person stresses about the food getting done before company arrives, another chants, “goosfraba,” reminding us that it doesn’t matter that no one has showered 30 minutes before dinner starts. It’s chaos. It’s lovely. It’s full of laughter. It’s time to watch the parade.
4. Halloween. I’m not a particular fan of the holiday, but I am completely on board with the movies that go with it. I feel like people are going to make a horror jump here. No, sir. I’m talking Hocus Pocus, Beetlejuice, The Addams Family, Harry Potter (more of an anytime-ever-whenever-always film), Young Frankenstein, and Shaun of the Dead. I feel like I’m stretching this a little far. No? Okay, then.
5. Pumpkin (for decoration). I happen to be a pumpkin artist. However, because my tales of pumpkin carving glory came before the days of (my involvement in) social media, tracking down evidence for said prowess is difficult. Just trust me. Maybe I’ll prove it to you in October.
6. Apples. An apple a day keeps hilary happy. Fiji. Gala. Jonathan. Granny. Gimme, gimme, gimme (a man after midnight). As good as SoCal’s produce is, I’d kill (maybe just love) for an Indiana apple. Don’t even get me started on the orchard’s apple slush. Oh, you got me started. Our hometown orchard has a sweet, sacred nectar basically consisting of apple cider in slushy form. Yummmm
7. Coziness. Fall is just cozy, right? Like the over-sized sweater my sister has worn for the past twelve years. Sure, it looks a little worn, but it’s loved and there’s something entirely too comforting about it that can’t easily be reconstructed. Besides, don’t you love New York in the Fall?